Tuesday 17 May 2011

Blog 157

These are my competition images entered in the Derby City Photographic Competition on Monday 16th May 2011.

The first one, entered in the themed competition "Up Close" is a seed head from the plant known by its common name Jack go to bed/sleep at noon, because the flower head closes at noon, or Goatsbeard (Tragopogon pratensis).

It is a ten shot differentially focussed set of images, the sharpest parts blended in Photoshop to give this image. I used Topaz Creative Detail Accent to accentuate the detail and finally used Silver Efex Pro High Structure to convert it to a monochrome image. Scored 16/20.

The second image "So Tired" was taken at Elvington Yorkshire Air Museum at a re-enactment by Battlegroup North, I couldn't resist taking this photograph. Knowing what competition judges are like and mostly their lack of understanding about differential focus, a friend suggested that I sharpen the hands somewhat.

I am glad I did as this image was the winner in the open competition scoring 20/20. The combined scored made me the winner overall in that competition.


1 comment:

  1. Your seedhead - just my sort of photo Barry!Well done in the competition. Janet

    ReplyDelete